If you love truffles, then you have to add truffle hunting to your bucket list. Imagine learning how to find truffles from a truffle hunter as you walk through the woods, your senses heightened at the thought of tasting a decadent meal after being rewarded with finding the prize. In this series of blogs, Cosimo Commisso will share his passion for truffles and how to cook them, what wine to pair them with, and what restaurant to visit to taste truffle-based dishes.
1.What is the best season for truffles?
The Italian black summer truffle season is from May through early September (Campoli near Sora in the Apennines has a summer truffle festival in June), although they can be obtained all year round. In early July, therefore, you should find Italian summer truffles in markets, or even go on a truffle hunt. White truffles can only be sold from the end of September, and white truffle fairs are held in October and November.
2. How many species of truffles grow in Italy?
Depending upon the variety of truffle (at least eight species grow in Italy), these delicious fungi are harvested from late summer to early spring by experienced gatherers known as trifolau.
3. Which one is your favourite and why?
White Truffle aroma — the taste is very refined.
4. White truffles are generally served raw and shaved over steaming buttered pasta, salads or fried eggs. Do you have any other suggestions on how to use this rare delicacy?
- White truffle over gnocchi
- Grilled asparagus on eggs and white truffle
- White truffle over linguini
- White truffle on veal paillard.
5. What recipe can you share with us that makes use of this type of truffle?
Potato Gnocchi in a cream butter emollition — which is one of my favorites
6. Is it true that the white truffle (tartufo bianco) is mostly found in Piedmont, Italy, and often referred to as the “king?”
7. White truffles are usually only reserved fresh and never cooked. How do you like to use them in your recipes?
Shaved, preferably, and no later than four days after picking to enjoy the full aroma.